Mold

Mold Services:

  • Mold Inspection 
  • Mold Testing 
  • Mold Removal 
  • Mold Remediation 
  • Water Damage Restoration 
  • Mold Removal

Stop mold and mildew now. Don’t risk your property and health.

What is mold?

We have probably all encountered mold at one time or another. It might have been in the shower, or on a stale piece of bread or wet drywall. Mold is a microscopic life form found in all parts of the world. It is part of the natural decay process of organic materials.

There are many different species of mold, and while they are diverse, they share some common characteristics:

  • Molds require an organic food source. The most common food source indoors is cellulose, which is found in building materials such as wood and drywall.
  • Molds require oxygen, so they do not grow under water.
  • Molds require moisture. To prevent mold, buildings must be kept dry.
  • Molds are spread by tiny particles called “spores.”

Why is mold a problem?

Active mold colonies usually emit a very unpleasant, musty odor. Because the job of mold is to digest, decay and recycle dead organic matter, it will eventually destroy whatever surface it grows on. Exposure to mold spores can cause mild to severe allergic reactions, depending on individual sensitivity.

What is a reasonable and safe response to mold?

The best way to deal with mold is to prevent it from happening. If the drying of wet building materials is commenced within 24 hours (assuming clean water), the chances of preventing mold growth are excellent. If building materials remain wet, it is inevitable that mold will start to grow. Therefore, addressing and eliminating moisture problems is the critical first step. Simply put, “If you've got Moisture, you've got mold!”

However, once mold is present, drying is not enough. Moldy materials must be either removed or decontaminated. This process is called remediation, which means “to remedy” or “to cure.” Proper remediation procedures will be determined by the size, scope and nature of the mold contamination. Professional water damage restoration can make the difference between a small water problem and a structure covered with mold.

Why is Mold a Health Hazard?

If your home is damp or has mold already, it could harbor other contaminates that thrive in moist environments. Many people experience unpleasant side effects or even worse health problems from mold, ranging from mild allergies and asthma attacks to irritated eyes, throats, noses, skin, and lungs. In addition, mold exposure can cause hypersensitivity, headaches, breathing difficulties, and other infections. People with asthma, allergies, and suppressed immune systems can also suffer other effects.

We all have probably encountered mold at one time or another. There are many different species of mold, but all molds share come common characteristics. Molds are naturally present in the outdoor environment around us; however, indoor mold can become a mold problem. Mold spreads rapidly and produces an unpleasant musty odor. If allowed to grow unchecked, mold can cause discoloration and structural damage to a building. A significant amount of mold can impact indoor air quality and can be difficult and costly to remove.

It is important to react quickly in the event of a water loss. By identifying and eliminating the source of the water and implementing rapid drying, mold growth can be curtailed.

Small Particle Remediation for Mold Spores

For most people who are exposed to mold, they merely suffer mild allergic symptoms, which goes away when the exposure ends, or when the mold-infested material is removed. However, several molds strains produce toxic compounds known as mycotoxins that are harmful to some people who have a sensitive or compromised immune system. The symptoms can be much more severe, and the mold toxins stay in the body.

If your home or business has had water damage, these microscopic mycotoxins from mold spores may be air born and spread throughout the structure, making it unsafe for inhabitants.

Unfortunately, these microscopic invaders can still be present after the contaminated materials are removed. Service Master Clean can test your living or workspace for air-born toxic mold should you suspect toxic mold is still present. The only way to completely remove the mold hazard is to have a professional like Service Master Clean perform a Small Particle Remediation.

If left unchecked, mold will continue to multiply by spreading its spores via air ducts and air currents throughout the work or living spaces. Without a professional Small Particle Remediation, mold can continue to thrive for months and even years.

With the recent flooding across the US and with more and more people being exposed to toxic mold, chronic disease has been discovered in certain people whose immune system does not detect the mycotoxin, which then spreads unabated throughout the body. This disease, which can be fatal, is called Chronic Inflammatory Response Syndrome (CIRS).

This is not to be confused with normal allergic reactions with symptoms such as mild nose, eye, and throat irritation. CIRS patients can have those symptoms at first, but as the disease progresses, they may suffer chronic fatigue, weakness, and joint pain and other debilitating symptoms. It’s important you seek medical treatment should you suspect you have CIRS.

It’s also important to have your space tested for mold if you’ve had prolonged or repeated water damage. Even after the removal of visible mold, mold can still be present, and the only way to remove microscopic mold spores is to have a Small Particle Remediation performed.

If your home or building tests positive to toxic mold, Service Master Clean will remove and dispose of all contaminated material. Once removal is complete, the Small Particle Remediation can begin, which consists of HEPA filter vacuuming of all surfaces, knockdown of the mold particulate with a fogging technique and finally a complete wipe down of all surfaces to remove all mold spores. See Small Particle Remediation for further information on how Small Particle Remediation is performed.

Unfortunately, traditional remediation methods can “pulverize” mold spores making many small fragments. These small particles contain mold toxins that are so small they are not captured by air scrubbers as they stay in constant motion floating around in the air. This is why the use of the knockdown fog is critical in removing all mold spore, fragments and toxins. Even during an air sampling for mold, the small fragments may go undetected as they are no longer recognizable as spores.

It is also important to note that biocide fogging does not remove the toxins that remain in the air long after the mold spores have died. The only way to completely remove the small particles, fragments, and toxins from a structure is Small Particle Remediation.



FLOOR CLEANING SERVICES FOR COMMERCIAL & RESIDENTIAL CUSTOMERS